As we are all aware, global efforts are in progress on containing the spread and mitigating the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19), a novel respiratory disease that was first detected in China and has now spread to 60 countries worldwide. COVID-19 was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern by the World Health Organization on Jan 30, 2020.
Cases have now been detected in California, Oregon and Washington and the community spread in Washington has resulted in the first death in the United States as of Feb 23, 2020.
Per CDC, more cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) will likely be identified in the near future which means at some point a widespread transmission could occur in The United States.
The National Sikh Organization urges everyone with the community to exercise extreme care and caution during this time so as to ensure we can all remain safe and protected from the risk of exposure.
Please exercise the below preventative actions with immediate caution and spread the word within the community to increase awareness:-
· Get a flu vaccine.
· If you are sick with flu, stay away from others and receive immediate medical care
· Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
· Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
· Wear a face mask when in public places as these can offer a certain level of protection too.
· Seek early medical help if you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, and share your travel history with healthcare providers.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth often.
· Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
The National Sikh Organization wants to offer as much support and know-how as possible during this critical time. Please feel free to post additional questions/concerns you have on this topic and NSO would be happy to provide responses to the best of our ability.
Powered by Froala Editor